Friday 19 February 2016

Rambling Post #8: Australia, initial thoughts.

Well, it happened. Here I am. Land of the man eating spiders and chlamydia-ridden Koalas.
(If parts of this post don't make sense, then it's because i'm writing it at 6:30pm that should be 7:30am and I am in fact extremely jet lagged)
There are a few reasons why I write a blog. One of them being I like having a space where I can rant about things and just be as honest as I want to be. Well this is going to be one of those posts.
If people read this they'd probably think i'm spoiled and ungrateful and taking this opportunity for granted, which I 100% am not, it's just moving to a different continent has completely drained me, physically and emotionally.
It all started with my transfer from the airport. I thought I had it all booked and sorted (the University i'm studying at here offers free transfers to accommodation), but when I turned up to tell the guy I was here, he told me he expected me yesterday and didn't have enough room on the bus. I completely forgot to take into account the time difference like an absolute pleb. I then had to get a $60 taxi to my accommodation, and as this was the first task of my adventure, I started to feel like a complete failure.
When I eventually got to my apartment, I was taken to my room which was around the back and in a separate building to most of the other apartments. I was doing study abroad so I could meet lots more people not so I could be out of the way. Admittedly this upset me, and the homesickness began to kick in, and kick some more. For the first time in my life I felt completely alone. My phone wasn't yet set up for the country I was in so that was out of use and I had no wifi and most of all I didn't know anyone. I let myself have a little cry then decided I needed to do something about it. I hopped on the bus into Melbourne City (I haven't got a picture of it yet but it looks AMAZING), to try and sort out my bank and phone contract. But yet again, Annabel did a boo boo. I forgot my passport (UK driving licenses aren't valid here). So I decided to kill time and walk rather than bus to my accommodation. On the way I went into my University;s cafeteria to use the WIFI, which made me break down with emotion yet again. After some very encouraging words from a very good pal of mine, I got up and went to speak to my landlord about swapping rooms so I could be in the main building. He said 'yep, not a problem' (if you've seen H20: Just Add Water, he totally reminds me of Cleo's Dad). So next week i'll be switching rooms.
1 problem fixed.
I picked up my passport and went down to the bank to open up a bank account.
2 problems fixed.
I also nipped into the Vodafone shop to get a contract for my phone.
3 problems fixed.
The only problems remaining are that I don't really know anyone yet, and i'm struggling to transfer my Halifax money into my Aussie bank account.
I appreciate that this is a long and whiney post about something so exciting, but there are good and bad parts to everything and I feel like if I don't write about the bad parts, then I won't get the most our of the good parts.
The way I look at it at the moment is; it's only day 1, and I knew it wasn't going to be the happiest of days. Things can only look up from now on.
𝕒𝕟𝕟𝕒𝕓𝕖𝕝
ps. I also don't have pillows on my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment